Visit of the Grey Tsingy | Day 3
Share the ambiance on camps | Camp 1 in Beomalona Waterfall
Visit of the Red Tsingy | Day 5
Swimming session in Ampondrafeta beach | Day 6
Diego Suarez tropical city | Days 1 & 7
MADAGASCAR ULTRA TRAIL 2018
SUPPORT YOUR RUNNER DURING THE ULTRA RUNNING RACE
Ultra running races are not your passion? You prefer to visit the region rather than running it? We got the answer for you: the supporter program!
We offer you to follow the race day by day, live on camps with your relative, share the feeling of start and finish lines. But when your runner start the daily stage of the ultra running race, you leave in the same time the camp to visit one highlight of the region in a 4x4 with driver. Our camps are comfortable and located in regional places of interest. The South African tents we use are large and reserved for you and your relative. Bush toilets, showers, generators and hot meals are also set up on the camps. We also offer pre and post race tours for those willing to see other regions in Madagascar. All the requests will be tailor-made by our team based in Antananarivo. For more information contact Mrs Saholy at email@example.com
THE SUPPORTER TOUR
8 days – 8 nights to follow the ultra running race
07 July 2018 – Arrival at Diego Suarez (Din) According to your arrival time (by plane or by road), you will be transferred and installed at your hotel. The rest of the day will be free. Dinner and night will be spent at the hotel. 08 July 2018 – Beamalona Waterfall (Bkf, Lch, Din)
- 07.30 am to 1.30 pm: The day will be devoted to welcoming the runners at la Terrasse du Voyageur hotel. If you wish not to attend the briefing about the ultra running race, you can enjoy this morning free to visit Diego Suarez downtown.
- 02.00 pm: Departure to the first camp – the waterfall of Beamalona (around 2h30 drive).
- Afternoon: Dinner and night under tents (sleeping bag at your own expense).
09 July 2018 – Start of the race + Tsingy of Ankarana (Bkf, Lch, Din)
- You will attend the start of the first stage of the ultra running race. During this stage, supporters will not be able to follow the path because the checkpoint is very isolated and difficult to reach by car. Therefore, we suggest you the visit of the great Tsingy of Ankarana.
- Morning: Visit of Ankarana Natural reserve. The Tsingy (limestone pinnacles of impressive appearance), the sacred lake, the botanic trail, the canyons, the caves with stalactites and stalagmites, and the bats and crocodiles, will impress you. It is the largest natural underground network in Africa. It is also a park full of great adventures between wildness and mystical nature.
- Afternoon: After picnic on site and the visit (Entrance fees and guide included), we will make our way back to reach Camp 2. Dinner and night will be spent under tents.
10 July 2018 – “Crocodile” Day (Bkf, Lch, Din)
- Start of Stage
- Morning: You will go to support the runners at Anivorano Sacred Lake checkpoint (By 4WD). Then you will visit the village of Anivorano, which is known for its legendary lake. Per the legend, a God transformed himself as an old man. The old man passed by the village of Anivorano, which was placed at the bottom of a volcano crater. Whilst asking for water, all inhabitants of the village refused except for one woman. To punish them the old man transformed all the inhabitants of the village into crocodiles. Only the woman who helped the old man remained safe. Since then, it is said that the woman’s descendants now take care of all those crocodiles by offering them sacrifices during traditional ceremonies. Today, the crocodiles (who still wear the silver bracelets of former inhabitants) are seen as sacred ancestors and offerings are given for their benediction, prosperity and descendants.
- Afternoon: After lunch, After the picnic lunch, you will continue towards the Irodo River (where there are also crocodiles). Camp 3 putting up for dinner and overnight.
11 July 2018 – The Red Tsingy (Bkf, Lch, Din)
- Start of Stage
- Morning: You will follow the race at The Red Tsingy checkpoint. The Red Tsingy are one of the most popular sightseeing around Diego. It is a landscape from another planet at the gates of Analamera reserve. This Tsingy is very different from those from Ankarana because they come from erosion also called “lapies”. This unique geological formation is due to the combination of bush fires, erosion and infiltration of rainwater, and offers an unearthly landscape. Due to their constitution, they are very fragile.
- Afternoon: After picnic lunch, drive to Camp 3 (Great site with a beautiful village nearby). Dinner and night under tents.
12 July 2018 –Amber Mountain NP – (Bkf, Lch, Din)
- Start of stage
- Morning: A one-hour drive will be needed to reach the National Road and then drive to another sightseeing of Diego’s area: The National Park of Amber Mountain. The Amber Mountain is full of endemic species: 77 bird’s species of, 7 lemur’s species and 24 amphibians’ species. This verdant forest is an oasis of freshness, an escape from heatwaves of this region. The Mountain of amber is part of the seven protected areas most visited in Madagascar. Six lakes and several streams and rivers furrow the park.
- Afternoon: After the visit (Admission fee and guide included) and lunch, we will continue our way to the next camp (via Diego). The camp is on a beautiful and huge beach. Ampondrafeta beach is marking the end of the stage. Runners will end their tough day of ultra running there. Dinner and night will be spent in the camp.
13 July 2018 – Mountain of the French – Andovokonko Bay (Bkf, Lch, Din)
- Start of Stage
- Morning: We will then climb the French Mountain. French Mountain is the “necropolis” of the French former colons, its name comes from the battle in 1942 which opposed the French colonial troops to the English ones. You will discover the dry tropical flora, endemic Baobabs (Andansonia Suarezensis) and prickly aloes. The magnificent panorama spans Diego, its Bay and the Sugar Loaf.
14 July 2018 – Arrival at Diego (Bkf, Lch, Din)
- Transfer to the start line for the last stage of the trail running race, at the bottom of Mountain of the French.
- Morning: Drive to Diego where supporters will attend and congratulate their runners at the finish line.
- Afternoon: Rest for runners and/or Diego Visit.
- 30 pm: there will be a closing ceremony with awards, followed by the evening meal.
- Night at the hotel and end of our services
- Bookings opening: September 1st, 2017
- Bookings closing: June 8, 2018
- Tour: from July 7 to July 14, 2018
Supporters’ tour price to follow the ultra running race 2018 is at € 1 200 p.p. Booking procedure:
- Fill in the form on this page
- We will come back to you shortly to confirm your booking along remaining seats
- The payment for your entry can be done along 2 methods:
- By electronic funds transfer (Bank fees at your charge)
- By credit card on the organizer’s website: https://www.boogieevents-madagascar.com/en/
Commitment is firm and conclusive and includes all services as follows:
- Accommodation at hotels as mentioned
- Meals as mentioned (Bkf: breakfast / Lch: Lunch / Din: Dinner)
- Dinner for the closing ceremony
- Private car with driver and fuel included from Day2 to Day 8
- Admission fees at parks and reserves visited, guidance fees as mentioned in the program
- Package in Diego: private car with driver and fuel, tour guide, parks admission fees, picnic, one bottle of water per person per excursion day.
Not included in the package:
- Domestic and international flights
- Meals not mentioned/included in the program
- Excursions offered by hotels and visits mentioned “at your charge” in the program
- Phone communications, drinks, tips, extras and personal expenses
- All services in general not provided and / or not mentioned in the program
- All services and extras not mentioned in the program: sleeping bag
Foreigners willing to travel to Madagascar must carry a passport with a validity more than 6 months counting from their arrival in Madagascar. To book your trip to the meeting point in Diego Suarez, Boogie Pilgrim provides a free assistance for Madagascar Ultra running race.
A touristic visa is compulsory for all foreigners willing to travel to Madagascar. You can get it at the airport when you land. At the immigration desk, you have to provide your return ticket and your passport with a minimum validity of 6 months from the day your land in Madagascar. You can pay for the visa stamp in euro or USD.
The ariary worth currently around 3 700 for 1 euro. For your travel expenses, we recommend you to use foreign currencies in cash (Euros or dollars). Credit cards are accepted in very few hotels and ATM are only in the largest cities. We recommend you to change at the airport when arriving. All banks use the same rate in average. Do not change your money at the black market. LANGUAGE People speak more or less French all over the island. Few people speak English. However, tourism’s professionals speak more and more these three languages. At Boogie Events, we provide English, French, German, Italian, Japanese and Russian speaking guides.
Vaccines: No vaccines are requested by immigration laws to enter to Madagascar. However, we highly recommend people to come with up to date vaccinations against: B hepatitis, Typhoid fever, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio.
Anti-malaria treatment: In spite of stronger risks on the coast than in the highlands, during the rainy season more than during the dry season, Malaria is everywhere in the island all along the year. Therefore, an anti-malaria treatment must be taken before, during and after your stay in Madagascar.
The ultra running race is held during the best season to travel in Madagascar: the dry season from April to November. However, from June to September it is winter season on the highlands (Antananarivo). During the day, temperatures are around 18°C. But at night, temperatures can drop down till 5°C.
CLOTHING & LUGGAGE
Casual, comfortable and easy-to-wash clothing is strongly advised. A warm jacket is indispensable when landing in Antananarivo (Southern winter in the highlands). Keep luggage size to a minimum for your own comfort and ease the transport. Don’t forget: Mosquito repellent, sun screen, flashlight or headlamp for camps.
Our exclusive travel partner Boogie Pilgrim® is ready to help you planning your trip before and after the ultra running race. Flying to Antananarivo:
- From Paris: Direct flights with Air Madagascar, Air France, Corsair.
- From Johannesburg: Direct flights with Air Madagascar, South African Air Link.
- From Nairobi: Direct flights with Kenya Airways.
- From Mahé: Direct flights with Air Seychelles.
- From Saint Denis (Reunion Island) : Direct flights with Air Austral, Air Madagascar.
- From Mauritius: Direct flights with par Air Madagascar and Air Mauritius.
From Antananarivo to Diego Suarez : Daily flight with Air Madagascar.